In bones, skin, muscles, & other body parts, collagen plays a crucial role. Collagen supplements are frequently taken by people, among other things, to maintain skin health. You might be wondering whether you require more of this protein than your body can produce on its own, given the rising popularity of collagen supplements, frequently referred to as collagen peptides.
What exactly is collagen?
The protein that is found most frequently in your body is collagen. It is the principal constituent of the connective tissues that comprise the muscles, tendons, ligaments, skin, and other body parts.
Some of the collagen’s crucial jobs include giving your skin shape and supporting your bones. There are 28 different kinds of collagen. But these are the four that are most common.
- Type I: the most prevalent kind, present in every connective tissue
- Type ll: found in joints and intervertebral discs, which are the cushions that cushion your spine.
- Type lll: the primary constituent of reticular fibers, which are present in blood vessels & skin.
- Type lV: a part of your inner ear, kidneys, and eye lens
Recently, collagen supplements have become more well-liked. Most of the collagen has been hydrolyzed or dissolved to make it easier to absorb. Although capsules are also an option, most of these supplements are available as a powder. Supplements include various types of collagen; some have one or two forms and others have up to five.
Benefits of collagen supplements for health
Numerous health advantages of AHB Lab collagen supplementation are:
1. It might make skin healthier
Collagen is a vital component of your skin. Along with contributing to suppleness and moisture, it helps to strengthen skin. The body produces less collagen as you get older, which causes wrinkles and dry skin.
However, numerous studies have demonstrated that collagen peptides or supplements containing collagen might aid in slowing down the aging process of your skin by minimizing wrinkles and dryness. These pills could influence your body’s natural collagen production, explaining how they function. The creation of other proteins that assist in structuring your skin, such as elastin and fibrillin, may also be stimulated by collagen supplements.
2. It might ease joint pain.
Your cartilage, the rubber-like substance that protects your joints, needs collagen to stay healthy. Because your body makes less collagen as you age, you are more likely to develop degenerative joint illnesses like osteoarthritis. According to certain research, osteoarthritis supplements may aid in easing osteoarthritis symptoms and reducing general joint pain.
An analysis of trials on individuals with osteoarthritis revealed that consuming osteoarthritis supplements significantly reduced joint stiffness and other symptoms of the condition. Researchers have hypothesized that extra collagen may build up in cartilage and encourage collagen production in your tissues. Lower inflammation, improved joint support, and decreased pain may follow.
3. Could increase muscular mass
Skeletal muscle is a critical component of the body’s most common protein, collagen. Studies indicate that collagen supplements can increase muscle mass in persons with sarcopenia, the age-related decrease of muscular mass. According to study, more collagen may promote the production of muscle proteins like creatine and increase the growth of muscle after exercise.
However, type 2 collagen peptides still outperforms collagen protein in strength and muscle growth. This is because collagen contains less branched-chain amino acids essential for developing muscle.
4. Could stop bone loss
Collagen, largely found in bones, gives them strength and structure. With aging, bone mass decreases similarly to how your body’s collagen deteriorates. Due to decreased bone density and an increased risk of bone fractures, disorders like osteoporosis may result. Collagen supplements may aid in preventing osteoporosis-related bone loss, according to studies.
5. Added health advantages
There may be further health advantages to collagen supplements, but these have yet to undergo in-depth research.
- Nails & hair: Taking collagen may make your nails stronger by preventing brittleness. Additionally, it might promote longer hair and nails.
- Gut wellness: Some medical professionals believe collagen supplements help alleviate intestinal permeability, also known as a leaky gut syndrome, even though no scientific proof supports this assertion.
- A healthy brain: Although collagen supplements have not been studied with brain health, some people assert they enhance mood and lessen anxiety symptoms.
- Loss of weight: Collagen supplements may help with weight loss and faster metabolism, according to supporters. However, there is no study to support these claims.
Through the production of fibroblast, chondrocyte, and TGF-β growth factors, ICPPX may stimulate and activate fibroblasts in the joints and tendons to produce collagen I, collagen II, hyaluronic acid, and fibronectin. Reducing the levels of IL-1β and TNFα in inflamed ligaments, tendon fasciitis, and degenerative arthritis tissue may also have simultaneous anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. ICPPX peptide heals tissue, lessens lactic acid build-up, and decreases pain and inflammation brought on by tendon fasciitis, ligamentitis, osteoarthritis, and degenerative arthritis.
- Collagen and other extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins’ gene expression is stimulated.
- Increases collagen and ECM synthesis
- Studies conducted in vitro and in vivo show that certain substances are anti-inflammatory.
- Lactic acid is metabolized, which enhances athletic performance.
How safe are collagen supplements?
According to research, collagen peptides may or may not genuinely assist, but consuming them is generally safe. However, it’s important to consult your doctor before taking new supplements. Finally, avoid collagen supplements that don’t contain hydrolyzed collagen, especially those that have added sugar, which has no nutritional value and can harm your health if ingested in excess over time.
Taking type 2 collagen peptides has several health advantages and hardly any documented hazards. Supplements can help you gain muscle mass, stop bone loss, eliminate joint pain, and have healthier skin by preventing wrinkles and dryness.
While there may be other advantages, most claims about weight loss, gut health, & brain health are not supported by research. Even though several foods contain collagen, it is still being determined whether they provide the same advantages as supplements. AHB Lab’s collagen supplements are often safe, easy to use, & beneficial to test depending on your health goals.